View toward North Side
Elevation drawing looking downstream
(Carnegie Library, PA Dept)|
Sixth Street Bridge, St. Clair Street Bridge
USGS 7.5" Topo Quad - UTM Coordinates:
Pittsburgh West - Zone 17; 0584 4477
pedestrians and horse-drawn vehicles
-- Federal St [Franklin Rd] on right descending bank of Allegheny River
-- Sixth St [St. Clair St] on left descending bank of Allegheny River
-- Allegheny River at mile 0.5
TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION / DESIGN:
wire rope suspension
LENGTH OF MAIN SPAN:
two main spans, 344 ft; shore spans, 177 ft and 171 ft
20 ft wide roadway, two 8 ft sidewalks
TOTAL LENGTH (including longest elevated ramp):
HEIGHT OF DECK:
YEAR ERECTED / ENGINEER:
1857-59, John A. Roebling; replaced 1892
Replaced the 1819 covered bridge across the Allegheny River.
Designed by John A. Roebling, who had also completed the 1845 Allegheny Aqueduct for the Pennsylvania Canal which crossed the Allegheny River near 11th St, and the 1846 suspension bridge which replaced the burned Monongahela Bridge at Smithfield St.
The elevation drawing is simplified to display on screen. Photos indicate twice as many wires and panels.
Sixth St was formerly St. Clair St in Pittsburgh; it aligns with Federal St (formerly Franklin Rd which connected to the Venango Path) in the former city of Allegheny (Northside).
view page - "Three Sisters" Bridges -- Historic American Engineering Record document
HAER; Lorant, "Pittsburgh"; Smith, "Pittsburgh: Then and Now"
Submit info or inquiry - share some facts or ask a question.
View Larger Map