View northeast (upstream right)
More detail photos
Pittsburgh & West Virginia Railroad over Saw Mill Run
Norfolk & Western RR over Saw Mill Run
Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad over Saw Mill Run
USGS 7.5" Topo Quad - UTM Coordinates:
Pittsburgh West - Zone 17; 0582 4477
Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad (1 track)
-- Steuben St
-- South Main St
-- Saw Mill Run
-- South Main St
TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION / DESIGN:
Steel plate girder with trussed bents
LENGTH OF MAIN SPAN:
TOTAL LENGTH (including longest elevated ramp):
HEIGHT OF DECK:
YEAR ERECTED / ENGINEER:
c1904-1909, West Side Belt Railroad, subsidiary of Wabash-Pittsburg Terminal Railroad
James W. Patterson, chief engineer, Wabash RR
Possibly the fourth structure at this location. Circa 1850, the Little Saw Mill Run Railroad built a wooden trestle over Saw Mill Run to connect to its coal docks on the Ohio River. A flash flood in 1872 washed away three wooden trestles of the LSMRR.
The West Side Belt Railroad, a subsidiary of the Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal Railway, acquired the LSMRR in 1897.
The portion of the WSB east of Banksville Junction (near western portals of the Fort Pitt Tunnels) was built in 1902 and 1903 -- for the most part with wooden trestles and a few plate girder spans. The entire WSB was updated c1909 with longer structures being rebuilt of steel and it is perhaps at this time that the wooden trestle over Saw Mill Run was replaced with a deck plate girder bridge.
The Wabash railroad properties around Pittsburgh were purchased by the Pittsbugh & West Virginia Railroad in 1917.
view page - History of the Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal Railway - West Side Belt Railroad
view page - Other structures in the West End Valley
field check; Hopkins plat maps, 1876, 1917, 1934; Kirk Q. Bigham, "Major Abraham Kirkpatrick and his descendents," 1911; Wilson, "Standard History of Pittsburgh," 1898; Worley, "Wabash-Pittsburg Terminal Railway"
Submit info or inquiry - share some facts or ask a question.
View Larger Map