View west (upstream right)
Elevation drawing looking downstream
More detail photos
Union RR Carrie Furnace Hot Metal Bridge
Whitaker - Rankin
USGS 7.5" Topo Quad - UTM Coordinates:
Pittsburgh East - Zone 17; 0594 4473
railroad, two tracks
downstream track includes steel shielding panels for hot metal trains
-- inactive USS Carrie Furnace (Rankin) on right descending bank of Monongahela River
-- Whitaker on left descending bank of Monongahela River
-- Monongahela River at mile 9.2
TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION / DESIGN:
Steel Pennsylvania/Pratt through truss; Pratt through truss, steel beam approach trestle
LENGTH OF MAIN SPAN:
TOTAL LENGTH (including longest elevated ramp):
HEIGHT OF DECK:
50.8 ft, vertical clearance, at center line of channel span
Emsworth Dam normal pool level 710 ft
YEAR ERECTED / ENGINEER:
The railroad, as it exists today, has resulted from the union of all or parts of five railroads between the years 1906 and 1915. The first addition occurred in 1906 when a portion of the Pittsburgh, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad, extending from North Bessemer to East Pittsburgh, was leased to the Union Railroad. Later in 1906, the railroad leased the Monongahela Southern Railroad. The next addition involved the St. Clair Terminal Railroad in 1920. All three properties were subsequently merged. The last addition occurred in 1915 with the lease of track from Duquesne to McKeesport via the Penn Central Bridge. The original URR extended from East Pittsburgh to Hays, a distance of six miles, and was constructed in the years 1894-1907. During the same period, 13 branches, with an aggregate length of 14 miles were built. Operations began on June 1, 1896, with 241 employees, 25 steam locomotives and no cars. On October 26, 1897, the first train was interchanged with the Pittsburgh, Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad at East Pittsburgh. This 30-car ore train from North Bessemer was consigned to Edgar Thomson.
The Port Perry Bridge, across the Monongahela River, opened to traffic on June 30, 1898.
The Carrie Furnace bridge opened to hot metal traffic on December 31, 1900 and to general traffic on June 14, 1901. A new Homestead connection between Port Perry Bridge and the north end of Munhall Yard was completed and placed in operation December, 1907. This connection replaced the original line which was located along the hillside at Green Springs.
USACE Monongahela River Nav. Charts; Transtar Inc. website
Submit info or inquiry - share some facts or ask a question.
View Larger Map