View northeast on Forward Ave
More detail photos
Penn Lincoln Parkway East #5
USGS 7.5" Topo Quad - UTM Coordinates:
Pittsburgh East - Zone 17; 0590 4475
-- Parkway East [I-376, US22, US30], six lanes divided;
parking area for Squirrel Hill Tunnel maintenance facility
-- Forward Av [Blue Belt]
TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION / DESIGN:
16 steel riveted girder stringers (simple span) on concrete abutments
LENGTH OF MAIN SPAN:
TOTAL LENGTH (including longest elevated ramp):
HEIGHT OF DECK:
YEAR ERECTED / ENGINEER:
1952, PA Dept of Highways
When the Parkway East was built, Forward Av was diverted from the Four Mile Run valley to end at Beechwood Blvd. To maintain access between Squirrel Hill and Greenfield, this bridge was necessary -- with the side effect that there are two entrances to the westbound Parkway East from Forward Av.
The bridge stands below the western portal of the Squirrel Hill Tunnel. Because it carries the parking area for the tunnel maintenance facilities in addition to two lanes of traffic in each direction, the span is wider than it is long.
excerpt from 1953 PA Dept of Highways report
The ground in this area was an old fill and it was necessary to carry pedestals to support the abutments through this fill to rock at a depth of from twenty feet to fifty feet. In constructing the pedestals for the western abutment, an old quarry face was encoutered under the toe of three pedestals, and these were redesigned to carry the toe to rock at the floor of the old quarry.
Additional fill west of the Squirrel Hill tunnel was placed to a depth of up to 35 feet, much of it from the tunnel excavation. The tunnel was cut from east to west, so the bulk of the material was deposited outside the eastern portal.
excerpt from "History of Allegheny County, 1889"
Hon. Walter Forward, the distinguished jurist. He began his career in 1801 as editor of the "Tree of Liberty," a democratic organ, and the second journalistic venture in Allegheny county. He was member of Congress two terms, first comptroller of the treasury under (William Henry) Harrison, secretary of the treasury under (John) Tyler, charge d'affaires to Denmark under (Zachary) Taylor, and finally judge of the district court of Allegheny county, in which position he died in 1852.
He was also recognized in the naming of Forward Township, erected in 1869 in southeastern Allegheny County.
Submit info or inquiry - share some facts or ask a question.
View Larger Map
View Larger Map