1928 photo, view upstream
Elevation drawing looking downstream
Penn Bridge Co. photo, view upstream
USGS 7.5" Topo Quad - UTM Coordinates:
Pittsburgh East - Zone 17; 0590 4472
motor vehicles, 2 lanes; street railway
-- Second Av (Glenwood) on right descending bank of Monongahela River
-- East Carson St, Eighth Av [Riverton St], and Haysglen Rd (Hays) on left descending bank of Monongahela River
-- (RDB to LDB) B&O RR Pittsburgh-Cumberland, B&O RR Glenwood Yard, Monongahela River at mile 5.9, Union RR, PLE RR, East Carson St, PRR, Riverton St
TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION / DESIGN:
4 camelback spans, sub-divided Pratt through truss
LENGTH OF MAIN SPAN:
TOTAL LENGTH (including longest elevated ramp):
HEIGHT OF DECK:
YEAR ERECTED / ENGINEER:
1894, replaced 1966
Penn Bridge Co., Beaver Falls, PA
T. S. White, chief engineer
C. H. Vaughn, constructing engineer
C. M. Emmons, estimator and designing engineer
Replaced by 1966 Glenwood Bridge.
Squared stones, possibly from the substructure of the previous bridge, are found in large piles along the north bank upstream from the present bridge. The 1894 bridge was a Pittsburgh Railways street car bridge which had a wooden floor to allow motor vehicles to cross also. It was a pin-connected Pennsylvania through truss.
This was near the location of the Six Mile Ferry.
The Penn Bridge Company was founded in 1866 by T. B. White, a designer and builder of wooden bridges. By 1908 the company had built four bridges over the Ohio River, five over the Monongahela and two over the Allegheny. (The history does not specify which.) Penn Bridge also constructed the original Ohio Rivers dams Nos. 2, 4, 5, and 6.
White and von Bernewitz; Pittsburgh Gazette Times, "Story of Pittsburgh and Vicinity", 1908
Submit info or inquiry - share some facts or ask a question.
View Larger Map