View north near Boundary St
More detail photos
Charles Anderson Memorial Bridge
Blvd of the Allies #7
Pittsburgh (Oakland - Schenley Park)
USGS 7.5" Topo Quad - UTM Coordinates:
Pittsburgh East - Zone 17; 0589 4776
Blvd of the Allies, four lanes
sidewalk each side
-- Parkview Av (Oakland)
-- Schenley Park
-- Boundary St; Four Mile Run; extension of Eliza Furnace Trail; Pittsburgh Junction RR [CSX]
TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION / DESIGN:
Wichert deck cantilever truss
LENGTH OF MAIN SPAN:
TOTAL LENGTH (including longest elevated ramp):
HEIGHT OF DECK:
YEAR ERECTED / ENGINEER:
Replaced the 1907 Wilmot St Bridge, an arch bridge which provided one of the original four bridge entrances into Schenley Park. The stone abutments from the previous bridge are adjacent to the north.
The Anderson Bridge is an example of the unusual "Wichert Self-Adjusting Truss" which was first employed on the Homestead High Level Bridge over the Monongahela River in 1936. The Wichert Truss is a cantilever spandrel-braced deck arch which is not a "true arch" bridge. The curved lower chord gives the bridge the form of an arch, but it does not rely on arch action to carry the load. The open diamond panel above each pier is the easily recogized mark of this truss type; without a vertical truss member in this hinged location. Before the use of computers, the interaction of forces on spans which crossed multiple supports was difficult to calculate. One solution to the problem was developed by E. M. Wichert of Pittsburgh, PA, in 1930. By introducing a open, hinged quadrilateral over the intermediate piers, each span could be calculated independently.
Charles Anderson was elected to the Pittsburgh City Council in 1920 and served into the 1930s. He had previously been a labor leader for the Plumbers Union, Local 27, plumbing inspector for the city from 1908 to 1917, an organizer for the American Federation of Labor, and a supervisor in the U. S. Department Labor during the First World War.
Western Pennsylvanians : a work for newspaper and library reference / compiled under the direction of the James O. Jones Company ; editors Charles Alexander Rook ... [et al.], 1923.
Submit info or inquiry - share some facts or ask a question.
View Larger Map
View Larger Map