View south on Cherry Way at Fifth Ave
View north on Cherry Way near Fourth Ave;|
View north on Cherry Way at Forbes Ave
Below Kaufmann's on Cherry Way
Kaufmann's Department Store
USGS 7.5" Topo Quad - UTM Coordinates:
Pittsburgh East - Zone 17; 0584 4476
department store building built above Cherry Wy
-- Kaufmann's department store (1898, Forbes Av and Smithfield St; 1913 addition, Fifth Av and Smithfield St)
-- Kaufmann's department store (1952 addition over Cherry Wy)
Cherry Wy between Forbes Av and Fifth Av
TYPE OF CONSTRUCTION / DESIGN:
LENGTH OF MAIN SPAN:
TOTAL LENGTH (including longest elevated ramp):
HEIGHT OF DECK:
YEAR ERECTED / ENGINEER:
A 1952 addition to the Kaufmann's department store required the demolition of Pittsburgh's first steel-framed skyscraper. The Carnegie Building, formerly at Fifth Av and Cherry Wy, was completed in 1895 as a memorial to Andrew's brother, Thomas, and served as a steel company headquarters. The popular legend is that Henry Clay Frick built his own building adjacent on Grant St -- slightly taller -- as an afront to his former partner.
While the two earlier sections of the Kaufmann's complex are neatly joined, the 1952 addition made some strange connections inside. Mismatched ceiling heights and strangely placed corridors mark the meeting of the new and the old.
Submit info or inquiry - share some facts or ask a question.
View Larger Map